As we know that every device connected with the internet needs an IP Address. This IP Address will be available to the device through some protocol. To assign an IP Address to the device there are various protocols. The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is also a protocol which is helpful for the quick, central & automatic management of the IP Address assignment (192.168.1.1) in a network. Through this protocol, the device in a local network will get Dynamic IP Address.
This protocol is also helpful for the configuration of the elements like Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers in a network. Here we will discuss various other aspects in relation to this protocol. Thus the users must check the article to get these details.
How does DHCP Works?
This protocol is a Client-Server Protocol. So it will use DHCP Servers & DHCP Clients. The DHCP server is a device which can provide the IP Address to another device whereas the DHCP client is a device which acquires IP Address. The IP Address assignments through Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol takes place in 4 steps. Those steps are as follows.
- DHCPDISCOVER: The Client will broadcast this request to Server.
- DHCPOFFER: The Server will now offer an addres to the Client.
- DHCPREQUEST: The Client will now make a request to server to lease an address from the offerings.
- DHCPACK: The Server will now acknowledge the request & assgn any IP Address to the client & manage its database.
How can we enable DHCP on the router?
The network administrator can easily enable the DHCP module on the router. It will require the necessary elements as provided by the ISP. The administrator must follow the procedure as given below to enable protocol on the router.
- Connect the device with the router.
- Now open browser in the device.
- Type 192.168.1.1 in the search bar of browser & hit enter.
- Now the user will have to login by using the username & password.
- Click on internet connection setup menu.
- Open DHCP link.
- Fill if details are required here & submit.
Now the protocol will be enabled in the local network. If the users have any doubts in these details. Then they can contact us to get further details. We will get back to them with solutions to their problems.